In fact, on the Friday before Hurricane Irene hit, Daniel and I went up to the house. He had not been there all week and the plumber was already to get the inspections of the plumbing done. (The plumber has been fantastic and a real pleasure to work with so thank God for small mercies!) Daniel and I did what we could. We moved all the wood and materials from the porch. We secured the windows and doors as best we could and made sure everything was tied down and couldn't fly around and cause damage. There was still a big hole on the side of one of the dormers which Brian had pulled out several weeks ago and just left. The two windows on the North of the house were also left open with the elements coming in (yes, they too had been left like that for several months). We texted Brian and asked if he was planning to be at the house and if he could secure the open windows and the hole in the dormer. Our fear was if the wind got under the dormer it could easily rip the whole dormer off. He guaranteed he would be at the house on Friday or Saturday before the anticipated Sunday storm.
|How the dormer was left during Irene|
|The two windows to the North of the house left open to the elements through both storms|
A few weeks ago I finally had a total melt down. I wasn't sleeping for worrying about the house and the contractor. Every time we visited the house I was angry and depressed that nothing had been done. I hated going to the house because when I got there I was really sad. I hated being at the house because it was just a reminder of how much still needed to be done and how little progress we were making. I realized that the house simply wasn't going to be finished this year. In fact we'll be lucky if it is completed for the spring of next year.
Then Irene hit - I'll write a separate entry for the flooding stories - and any hope of recovery or getting back on track is out the window. No contractor. No electrician. 5 ft of water in the basement and the brand new geothermal heat pumps, that had never been used, are destroyed. Have to wait for FEMA flood insurance before we can afford to replace them and that means even more delay...and likely, significantly more cost.
Sorry guys, Thanksgiving is cancelled.